An XML package for the S language
3.98-1 (Sun Oct 4 17:00:33 PDT 2015)
The latest version (3.99-0) introduces the ability to define XPath functions
for use in the getNodeSet() and xpathApply() R functions.
One can use R functions and C routines to implement new XPath functions.
Additionally, several XPath 2.0 functions are implemented by default.
Some people have encounterd memory leaks with this package.
As far as I am aware, these are only on Windows. I think this is due to the binary
versions of the package created for the package missing compiler flag.
This package provides facilities for the S language
It is an interface to the libxml2 library.
It can be combined with the RCurl package
for parsing documents that require more involved HTTP requests
to fetch the document.
- parse XML files, URLs and strings,
using either the DOM (Document Object Model)/tree-based
approach, or the event-driven SAX (Simple API for XML)
- parse HTML documents,
- perform XPath queries on a document,
- generate XML content to buffers, files, URLs,
and internal XML trees;
- read DTDs as S objects.
The source for the S package can
be downloaded as XML_3.98-1.tar.gz.
There is also a Windows version available
from the Omegahat repository.
install.packages("XML", repos = "http://www.omegahat.org/R")
- Best practices for using the XML package
- PDF version.
- A short overview: HTML, PDF
- A brief introduction to parsing XML in R: HTML, PDF
- A reasonably detailed overview
of the package and what we might use XML for.
- A manual in
and a quick guide to the package (PDF).
- A short overview
of the package.
- Brief and incomplete Notes on generating XML
- FAQ for the package.
- Changes to the packages (by release).
Examples of Reading Generic XML files
- XML form of plist (property list) files (e.g. property lists on
OS X, old iTunes databases)
o = readKeyValueDB("http://www.omegahat.org/RSXML/plist.xml")
- XML "solr" files that are similar to JSON and name-value pairs
with nodes of the form
<str name="ABC">A string</str>
o = readSolrDoc("http://www.omegahat.org/RSXML/solr.xml")
Duncan Temple Lang
Last modified: Sun Dec 25 09:52:10 PST 2011